As property to one of the 10 most significant schools of nursing in the place and the health-related college that trains additional physicians than any other general public university in the condition, Ohio University has developed to be a national leader in preparing learners for professions in health.
Right now, the College is launching a statewide branding marketing campaign to maximize consciousness of its leadership in well being as it seems to go on attracting the state’s finest and brightest not only to regular clinical degree systems but also to its increasing choices in relevant degrees such as health care management, health communications and far more.
“We have an incredible tale to inform in phrases of our perform teaching health and fitness specialists to serve all more than the state and the location, specifically in rural communities that need treatment, as effectively as our groundbreaking exploration on prevalent overall health challenges like diabetes,” claimed OHIO President Hugh Sherman. “It’s time we convey to that tale.”
OHIO has observed sizeable development in its healthcare enrollments in excess of the final 20 yrs with the launch of its totally on the net RN to BSN system, the addition of graduate-stage nursing applications, and the expansion of OHIO’s Heritage Faculty of Osteopathic Drugs. Via the generosity of the Osteopathic Heritage Basis, and in partnership with key health care techniques together with OhioHealth and Cleveland Clinic, the Heritage Faculty is at present teaching just under 1,000 clinical learners at a few campuses and 15 scientific cohort web-sites throughout Ohio. The College has extra than 4,300 students enrolled in graduate and undergraduate nursing packages.
“By expanding opportunities for health care teaching, Ohio University has expanded its achieve exponentially, which in the end translates to far better treatment for our communities,” stated OHIO’s Chief Professional medical Affairs Officer and Heritage Higher education Executive Dean Ken Johnson, D.O. “Together, we are preparing graduates throughout the health care spectrum to handle the most pervasive health care desires of Ohioans.”
OHIO’s University of Overall health Sciences and Professions, which is dwelling to the University of Nursing, is at the moment a single of the only interdisciplinary health and fitness-concentrated colleges in the state, providing nationally highly regarded applications in fields this kind of as athletic coaching, communications sciences and conditions, environmental overall health, nutrition, social work and a lot more.
“One of the serious advantages of pursuing a health and fitness degree at Ohio University is the integration between our courses and the option to be exposed to quite a few distinct disciplines,” said John McCarthy, interim dean of the School of Health and fitness Sciences and Professions. “I see that students are specially fascinated in earning a variation and helping some others. Our operate in the location and our partnerships present possibilities for college students to make a constructive effect on the wellness of individuals and populations.”
Johnson and McCarthy have joined forces with Mark Weinberg, dean of OHIO’s Voinovich University of Leadership and Public Support, to sort the Ohio University Health and fitness Collaborative, which associates with neighborhood well being businesses, community governments, universities and much more to deal with huge-scale local community health needs with a target on Appalachian Ohio. The Ohio College Wellness Collaborative is performing to tackle problems this kind of as the opioid epidemic, rural wellbeing inequity, the absence of a well timed response to illness outbreaks in the region, health and fitness insurance coverage disruption owing to financial concerns, insufficient broadband access as healthcare technological innovation advancements and extra.
“Our college students want to be a element of our function to handle these substantial-scale difficulties and make a real and long lasting impact on the communities we serve,” Johnson stated.
For far more data, go to ohio.edu/overall health.
By the figures
- In 2020-21, the most the latest conferral knowledge obtainable, Ohio University graduated 3,207 learners in wellbeing and linked courses, building OHIO the biggest producer of healthcare gurus for the condition of Ohio.
- In 2019-20, the College graduated 2,692 pupils with bachelor’s degrees in overall health professions and associated fields, producing OHIO No. 5 in the nation and only 2nd among public universities for bachelor’s conferrals in health and fitness fields.
- With a present enrollment of 987 pupils, Ohio University’s Heritage Higher education of Osteopathic Drugs trains more doctors than any other public college in the point out and is the state’s greatest producer of primary care physicians.
- U.S. News ranks the Heritage University 14th in the country for most graduates working towards most important care. Practically 60 percent of Heritage College graduates exercise in the state of Ohio, and one particular in a few of all those is doing work in an underserved group, earning the university deeply significant to health care entry in Ohio.
- Ohio College has 4,349 college students enrolled in graduate and undergraduate nursing plans, making it the greatest college of nursing of any university primarily based in Ohio.
- Specialized niche.com ranks Ohio University as the state’s greatest university for nursing and the 17th greatest in the nation dependent on fiscal and scholar everyday living facts as properly as opinions from students and alumni.
- OHIO’s on the web RN to BSN was one particular of the initially of its form, fully distant bachelor’s completion levels available to affiliate degree-educated nurses. It is rated 13th very best on the internet RN to BSN programs in the region by School Factual.
- The Heritage College’s Local community Overall health Applications and mobile overall health clinics provide underserved sufferers in 25 percent of Ohio’s counties.